[parisc-linux] L2000/N4000 smp devices/boot compare??

Joel Soete soete.joel@tiscali.be
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:59:52 +0200

Hi Matthew,

Just comeback to you on this stuff to be sure I well understand :)

>> As I try, without any success :(, to find where 'rules for non-coherent
>aliases'
>> are not respected, I will waiting for a fix.
>
>Well, it's hard.  Consider a page in the page cache.  It has a kernel
>address and one-or-more user addresses.  The user addresses all follow the
>coherency rules but the kernel address doesn't.  If you look in Appendix
F,
>we're not allowed to have multiple write-capable translations to the same
>address.

If I well understand it means that a same real (absolute) address has a different
virtual addresse for each processor?

>I think the only way to solve this is by (ab)using kmap to ensure that
>kernel pages are only accessed via coherent mappings.

I find back an interesting info into <http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/1999-December/008101.html>

where it is mentioned 'ping-pong the translations...'.
Do you think it could be a solution?
(btw Do you have any idea where i can find of the detail way to implement
it?)

thanks again,
    Joel

L'Internet rapide, c'est pour tout le monde. Tiscali ADSL, 19,50 Euro
pendant 3 mois! http://reg.tiscali.be/default.asp?lg=fr