[parisc-linux] L2000/N4000 smp devices/boot compare??

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:49:59 +0100

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:15:03AM +0200, Joel Soete wrote:
> Derek, Matthew,
>
> Thanks a lot for those clarification.
> As I try, without any success :(, to find where 'rules for non-coherent aliases'
> are not respected, I will waiting for a fix.

Well, it's hard.  Consider a page in the page cache.  It has a kernel
address and one-or-more user addresses.  The user addresses all follow the
coherency rules but the kernel address doesn't.  If you look in Appendix F,
we're not allowed to have multiple write-capable translations to the same
address.

I think the only way to solve this is by (ab)using kmap to ensure that
kernel pages are only accessed via coherent mappings.