[parisc-linux] Re: [Linux-ia64] Linux, Itanium and PA/RISC

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:50:32 +0000

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 01:23:32PM +0100, Adriano Galano wrote:
> If IPF support PA-RISC mapping is not easy to "port" the PA/RISC Linux,
> excluding architectural changes in the chipset or booting process?

Why would you want to?  ia64 already has its own perfectly good Linux port.

> How HP/UX v 11.6 could be offer compatibility between PA/RISC and Itanium 2
> systems?

That's `11i v1.6'.  Quoting from
http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/operating/choice/hp-ux11i_details.html

	PA-RISC binary compatibility

  HP-UX 11i version 1.6 includes the Aries dynamic code translation
  technology as an integrated component. Aries is built on the close
  relationship between the PA-RISC and Intel Itanium instruction sets
  and provides binary compatibility for PA-RISC binaries on the Itanium
  processor family. Aries can be used where performance is not critical
  or where it is not possible to create a native Itanium processor
  family binary.

> How "exact" is the PA-RISC mapping on the IA-64 core?

Not particularly close.  If you look at the assembly language level,
there's a lot of similarities, but there's a lot of differences too.