[parisc-linux] RE: [Linux-ia64] Linux, Itanium and PA/RISC

Adriano Galano adriano@satec.es
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:23:32 +0100

Hi Matthew and *:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 11:41:18AM +0100, Adriano Galano wrote:
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I read that IA-64 support PA-RISC instruction mapping.
> That's mean that I
> > can use Linux for PA/RISC (http://www.parisc-linux.org/) in
> a Itanium 2
> > computer?
>
> No.  You certainly can't run a PA-RISC kernel on an IA64 box,
> just like
> you can't run an x86 kernel on an ia64 box.

Sorry for my newbie questions but:

If IPF support PA-RISC mapping is not easy to "port" the PA/RISC Linux,
excluding architectural changes in the chipset or booting process?

How HP/UX v 11.6 could be offer compatibility between PA/RISC and Itanium 2
systems?

How "exact" is the PA-RISC mapping on the IA-64 core?

> --
> "It's not Hollywood.  War is real, war is primarily not about
> defeat or
> victory, it is about death.  I've seen thousands and
> thousands of dead bodies.
> Do you think I want to have an academic debate on this
> subject?" -- Robert Fisk

Regards,

-Adriano (bryam)
--