[parisc-linux] Re: [Linux-ia64] Linux, Itanium and PA/RISC

David Mosberger davidm@hpl.hp.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:19:08 -0800

  Matthew> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 11:41:18AM +0100, Adriano Galano
  Matthew> wrote:
  >> Hi all:

  >> I read that IA-64 support PA-RISC instruction mapping. That's
  >> mean that I can use Linux for PA/RISC
  >> (http://www.parisc-linux.org/) in a Itanium 2 computer?

  Matthew> No.  You certainly can't run a PA-RISC kernel on an IA64
  Matthew> box, just like you can't run an x86 kernel on an ia64 box.

Ugh, that's not strictly true.  You definitely can boot x86 linux and
windows 98 on Itanium.  I believe the same is true for Itanium 2 if
you have Intel's firmware, though I have never tried that myself.

	--david