[parisc-linux] compiler & kernel

Joel Soete jsoe0708@tiscali.be
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:14:40 +0200

Thanks to confirm (without my full mb I was not quiet sure of my memory :)
)

> >  Man, gcc-3.3 is SLOW! it takes ages to compile the kerne
>!

> I suspect this is related to changes in the inlining model.  This is
> definitely a problem with certain C++ applications.

I did not observe this behaviour on my b180 b2k or N with gcc-3.3 to compile
various _kernel_ (not C++) 2.4.20 or 2.4.21  (just always anoying canonicalize_
pb and execpted (void *) cast work-around for builtin function, I do not
yet find an easy way to solved module pb)

btw I notice another difference between 32bits and 64bits kernels:
# file vmlinux-2.4.21-rc6-pa35
vmlinux-2.4.21-rc6-pa35: ELF 32-bit MSB ..., statically linked, not stripped

# file vmlinux-2.4.21-rc4-pa35
vmlinux-2.4.21-rc4-pa35: ELF 64-bit MSB ..., dynamically linked (uses share
libs), ...

In the 32-bits case I well understand that kernel was staticaly linked but
I but surprised that 64-bit kernel is dynamically linked?

> If anybody can
> generate profile and/or pass timing data for 3.3 versus 3.0.4, I
> would like to see them.

Anyway could you let me know how to 'generate this profile'

Thanks for attention,
    Joel

Découvrez les 6 clés et gagnez le Club Med à Vie avec Tiscali
http://www.tiscali.be/nl/subs/tiscali4life/default.asp?lang=fr