[parisc-linux] compiler & kernel

Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:32:20 -0400 (EDT)

> >hppa64-gcc (3.2.3, from ftp.p-l.org unofficial-debs)
> >  seems to work fine but obviously ipt_limit.o is miscompiled:
> >  I can insmod it, but iptable wouldn't recognize the --limit* options.
> >  There are still some problems with some modules and canonicalize_funcptr,
> >
> Are you sure this is with hppa64-gcc (iirc canonicalize.., was just
> recently backport to 3.2)?

hppa64-gcc does not canonicalize function pointers.

> >  Man, gcc-3.3 is SLOW! it takes ages to compile the kernel!

I suspect this is related to changes in the inlining model.  This is
definitely a problem with certain C++ applications.  If anybody can
generate profile and/or pass timing data for 3.3 versus 3.0.4, I
would like to see them.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)