[parisc-linux] compiler & kernel

Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:18:03 -0400 (EDT)

> # file vmlinux-2.4.21-rc4-pa35
> vmlinux-2.4.21-rc4-pa35: ELF 64-bit MSB ..., dynamically linked (uses share
> libs), ...
>
> In the 32-bits case I well understand that kernel was staticaly linked but
> I but surprised that 64-bit kernel is dynamically linked?

This is a limitation of the 64-bit linker.  Binaries still need an
interpreter for startup even when linked with -static.  This probably
could be fixed but the use of static binaries under 64-bit hpux is
discouraged.  Under hpux, the linker needs to define some extra symbols
when a static binary is created.

> Anyway could you let me know how to 'generate this profile'

Look at the -Q, -ftime-report and -fmem-report options.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)