[parisc-linux] unaligned accesses

jsoe0708@tiscali.be jsoe0708@tiscali.be
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:29:47 +0100

Do you think that this tcpdump pb is also related to Lamont job (to be ho=
nest
I do not remember what was it?):
Jan  9 09:59:58 fw01 kernel: tcpdump(4638): unaligned access to 0x0011e78=
at ip=3D0x0002ab83
Jan  9 09:59:34 fw01 kernel: tcpdump(4638): unaligned access to 0x0011e78=
at ip=3D0x0002ab83

>On a more serious note, on parisc load/stores to half-words, words,
>doublewords have specific address alignment requirements. the message
>usually means the program in question is buggy and is making unaligned

hmmm buggy: not always, the triky case is when you have to access to thos=
kind of data encapsulated into a structure. I do not yet find any workaro=
und
or how to fix this kind of pb. Any idea (gcc-3.3?)?

>accesses. The unaligned access is trapped and emulated by the kernel,
>so normally the message itself is simply informational.
>
>This is definitely a FAQ.... maybe we should add it to the list :)

Yes, works fine but this consume a lot of CPU resources.

Joel

Promo Tiscali ADSL: 35 Euros/mois, 1er mois et activation =3D 0 Euro http=
://adsl.tiscali.be