[parisc-linux] unaligned accesses

Randolph Chung Randolph Chung <randolph@tausq.org>
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 23:36:59 -0800

> >Blame LaMont!
> >(yes, I'm just kidding, I've just been waiting for my chance to say
> >this... :-)
> >
> Do you think that this tcpdump pb is also related to Lamont job (to be honest
> I do not remember what was it?):

LaMont recently improved the unaligned handler to be more correct and
more robust... as well as handle more cases.
> Jan  9 09:59:58 fw01 kernel: tcpdump(4638): unaligned access to 0x0011e78a
> at ip=0x0002ab83
> Jan  9 09:59:34 fw01 kernel: tcpdump(4638): unaligned access to 0x0011e78e
> at ip=0x0002ab83

yes, tcpdump (and several other network tools) are known to generate a
lot of unaligned accesses.

> hmmm buggy: not always, the triky case is when you have to access to those
> kind of data encapsulated into a structure. I do not yet find any workaround
> or how to fix this kind of pb. Any idea (gcc-3.3?)?

eh? what do you mean?

randolph
--
Randolph Chung
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, hppa/ia64 ports