[parisc-linux] unaligned accesses

Randolph Chung Randolph Chung <randolph@tausq.org>
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 00:29:02 -0800

> The other question. I am using emacs, and I regularly see these messages:
>
> Jan  8 23:52:33 hp kernel: emacs(17795): unaligned access to 0x001cdaf2 at ip=0x0008937f
> Jan  8 23:52:33 hp kernel: emacs(17795): unaligned access to 0x001cdaf2 at ip=0x0008930b
>
> What are they?

Blame LaMont!
(yes, I'm just kidding, I've just been waiting for my chance to say
this... :-)

On a more serious note, on parisc load/stores to half-words, words,
doublewords have specific address alignment requirements. the message
usually means the program in question is buggy and is making unaligned
accesses. The unaligned access is trapped and emulated by the kernel,
so normally the message itself is simply informational.

This is definitely a FAQ.... maybe we should add it to the list :)

randolph
--
Randolph Chung
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, hppa/ia64 ports