[parisc-linux] removal of gnat

Harri Haataja harri.haataja@kolumbus.fi
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:47:42 +0200

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 03:42:26PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:31:51PM +0200, Harri Haataja wrote:
> > > No danger of that -- it's built as part of the debian gcc-3.2
> > > build, so there are substantially more recent compilers available.
> > So it'll be there in debian.
> Yup.  And it'll be there for anyone to use if they want to bootstrap
> their own compiler.  You have to start bootstrapping from _somewhere_;
> you seem to be suggesting that it's morally repugnant to start from
> debian's gcc+gnat rather than some random gcc+gnat found on a project
> website..  I'm not sure I agree.

I hadn't looked. So this is just an old version. I have nothing against
removing old binaries unless someone wants a piece of history or it has
some other signifigance. Great.

> > > gnat is written in Ada, so it is known to work at least well
> > > enough to compile itself.
> > .. if you have an Ada compiler :)
>
> Sure, but who doesn't?  ;-)  I even posted instructions in the form of
> a shell script to debian-gcc last year on how to cross-bootstrap from
> another architecture.

I don't remember where I would have wanted it some ages ago. Maybe
netbsd/sparc or something :) They hadn't bootstrapped it there yet.

Sorry about the mixup, somehow I didn't even remember there was a debian
already and that it's a separate project with their piles of software :)

--
Why is TV called a medium?
Because it's neither rare nor well done.