[parisc-linux] removal of gnat

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:42:26 +0000

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:31:51PM +0200, Harri Haataja wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 03:26:31PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:21:58PM +0200, Harri Haataja wrote:
> > > If there's ada stuff and gnat in particular there, I hope removing
> > > that won't take out the last ada system available. I believe it's
> > > quite hard to get back.
> > No danger of that -- it's built as part of the debian gcc-3.2 build,
> > so there are substantially more recent compilers available.
> So it'll be there in debian.

Yup.  And it'll be there for anyone to use if they want to bootstrap their
own compiler.  You have to start bootstrapping from _somewhere_; you
seem to be suggesting that it's morally repugnant to start from debian's
gcc+gnat rather than some random gcc+gnat found on a project website..
I'm not sure I agree.

> > gnat is written in Ada, so it is known to work at least well enough to
> > compile itself.
> .. if you have an Ada compiler :)

Sure, but who doesn't?  ;-)  I even posted instructions in the form of
a shell script to debian-gcc last year on how to cross-bootstrap from
another architecture.