xchat colors (Was Re: [parisc-linux] xfree86 4.2.1-9 build problem)

Chuck Slivkoff caslivkoff@speakeasy.net
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:18:50 -0400

On Friday, Aug 15, 2003, at 13:21 US/Eastern, Grant Grundler wrote:

> Ok - it's a color map issue.
> I added some printf's to xchat-2.0.3/fe-gtk/palette.c:palette_alloc().
>
> I'll see how hard it is to teach xchat to use it's own color map.

I recall looking into this once with a GTK+ app. It wasn't trivial.
Even if you do get it coded, you will likely end-up with colormap
flashing (aka "technicolor effect") when focus is switched in & out of
the client window. The Vis-EG has 2 HW LUTs which under HP-UX, would
prevent the technicolor effect by allowing 2 colormaps to be installed
in HW simultaneously. But, I don't know if the stifb driver was written
to take advantage of them both. If you can accept the "off" colors that
an 8-bit TrueColor default visual would give you (due to the uneven
3/3/2 split between R/G/B), that would be the easiest solution & would
ensure that all clients can get the colors they want.

This is on a Visualize-EG, right? Under HP-UX, the Vis-EG (standard on
the PCI card & optionally on the GSC & integrated versions) has the
capability of doing 8/8 double-buffering with another 8-bit overlay. It
would be great if the stifb driver could really take advantage of all
24-planes (or even 16), but I don't think that's been implemeneted.
Does anyone know if it's even possible? (I know NeXTStep on the 712 was
able to somehow squeeze 16-bit graphics out of the supposedly 8-bit
Artist adapter. Anyone have any idea how this was done?)

BTW, there's a pretty good but somewhat old (May 1996) white-paper here:

   http://www.hp.com/xwindow/sharedInfo/Whitepapers/Visuals/visuals.html

that discusses X11 visuals and the capabilities of some of the HP
graphics adapters under HP-UX.

-chuck