[parisc-linux] Re: Presicionbook success

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:48:35 +0100 (IST)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:44:33 +0100
> From: Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org>
> To: M. Grabert <xam@cs.ucc.ie>
> Cc: Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org>, Gavin Hubbard <ghub005@xtra.co.nz>,
>      parisc-linux@lists.parisc-linux.org
> Subject: Re: [parisc-linux] Re: Presicionbook success
>
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 02:36:25PM +0100, M. Grabert wrote:

[...]

> > The initialization of the CMD PCI0643 IDE controller fails when using
> > the ESIEE kernel (which has support built-in for this chip).
> > Something like "failed to get IRQ, will probe later".
>
> Oh, I thought you said the kernel hung when probing with this driver.
> If it just whines about being unable to do anything, that's no problem.

Maybe I was a little bit confusing to you:

1. Using a kernel with CMD IDE support, it will hang with the message
   "will probe IRQs later" ...
2. it will not hang if you pass a ide=nodma, but then it will show
   no devices
3. It will just boot fine without any CMD IDE support in the kernel

> > So no devices were found on the IDE bus, just on the LASI SCSI.
> > Probably it's the best just to use SCSI and not to use IDE support at all ...
>
> *nod*.  It might be fun for someone to play with fixing the IDE driver,
> but I don't think that's necessary.

;)

Slan, Max