[parisc-linux] Re: Presicionbook success

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:44:33 +0100

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 02:36:25PM +0100, M. Grabert wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 01:15:31AM +1200, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> > > Before anyone loses too much sleep over this, the Precisionbook has
> > > internal SCSI-IDE bridges that sit between the HBA and the drives. I
> > > believe a similar system was used in some of the earlier Apple Powerbooks.
> >
> > Yep, someone pointed that out in an earlier email.  I'm just trying to
> > figure out how to handle this for the best.
> >
> > 1) Provide a pci quirk that deletes the IDE device from the bus
> > 2) Hack the IDE driver to not claim that device if it's on a PrecisionBook
> > 3) Ignore the scsi device and let the IDE driver drive the chips
> > 4) Er.. something else.
>
> The initialization of the CMD PCI0643 IDE controller fails when using
> the ESIEE kernel (which has support built-in for this chip).
> Something like "failed to get IRQ, will probe later".

Oh, I thought you said the kernel hung when probing with this driver.
If it just whines about being unable to do anything, that's no problem.

> So no devices were found on the IDE bus, just on the LASI SCSI.
> Probably it's the best just to use SCSI and not to use IDE support at all ...

*nod*.  It might be fun for someone to play with fixing the IDE driver,
but I don't think that's necessary.