[parisc-linux] Re: ide controller

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:30:04 -0600

Moritz Sinn wrote:

> hi,
>
> i've got an promise PDC20268 ide controller, which i would like to use
> in my hp c360 workstation. i'm using kernel 2.4.18 (couldn't compile
> 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre7).
> if i compile with "Generic PCI bus-master DMA support", the kernel
> crashes when i insmod the 'ide-mod' module. it doesn't print useable
> error messages, it just doesn't react anymore.

Are you using the "apt-get source kernel-image-2.4.18-hppa"
or from kernel.org?

If the latter, that won't work.

> when i compile without dma support, i can insmod the 'ide-mod' and
> 'ide-disk' module, but it crashes when i want to insmod the
> 'ide-probe-mod' module.
>
> would be great if someone could help me.

1) see cvs.parisc-linux.org to get the latest bits
   (or ftp.parisc-linux.org/cvs/)

2) define the following to 1 in drivers/ide/pdc202xx.c:

#define PDC202XX_DEBUG_DRIVE_INFO               0
#define PDC202XX_DECODE_REGISTER_INFO           0

  and rebuild the module with that.

3) post the console log and "ser pim" output at PDC prompt.

grant