[parisc-linux] ide controller

j.steindlberger@gmx.de j.steindlberger@gmx.de
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:41:14 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Grant,

together with Moritz I/we tried to get some new results. We took the latest
kernel (-pa18) and did the changes to the PDC202XX-definitions in pdc202xx.c.
But I don't believe that the kernel gets the chance to recognice this
change. I think the kernel crashes earlier. We reduced the kernel by the specific
drivers. We disabled the following:
[ ]     Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
After compiling wie had these three modules:
ide-mod.o
ide-probe-mod.o
ide-disk.o
An insmod ide-mod.o was possible. But after insmod ide-probe-mod the kernel
crashes. In some cases we got an output with about 50 pages of memory
addresses. At the beginning we got some messages told about the SYM-SCSI-device.
Could that be a conflict? We did not succeed to reproduce that and log it.

Here my questions:
Did You here about anyone to succeed in using an IDE-controller in a
HP-RISC-architecture?
Do You see a chance to use IDE-disks in future (with some none
HP-controller)
Do You know about more people who are interrested in what we tried to do?
That would be an argument for me to continue experimenting.

Thank You
Joerg

http://www.gmx.net