[parisc-linux] hardware features of 712-60 ?

Patrick Caulfield patrick@tykepenguin.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:40:46 +0100

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 12:34:43PM +0300, Martin-?ric Racine wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, "Beerse, Corn?" wrote:
>

> > Have you checked the hardware database on the website?
> > (http://www.parisc-linux.org/) That gives an overview on what whas in the
> > origional box.
>
> http://hwdb.parisc-linux.org/view.php3?type=machine&name=712%2F60
>
> That page could have been written in Chinese, it would have been equally clear.
>
> I guess I'm just used to PC hardware, where kernel compiling simply means "if
> you have graphics card XXX select the driver with the same name". I've yet to
> find that simplicity in HP hardware, probably because everything is done via
> custom chips that combine several functions, and it is not clear to me which
> chip does what, as every line in that page starts with Gecko.

The thing is, it should be simpler than a PC because HP hardware (similar to
most large manufacturers) is pretty standard for any particular machine.

I suppose what you really want is a template .config for each type of machine
available from that page and a user just drops it in place and build a kernel
for it. If you stick other cards in the machine then it's up to you to figure
out the kernel options.

I'll volunteer one for a C110 :-)

patrick