[parisc-linux] Untested port of parisc_device to generic device interface

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 00:25:10 -0800

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 05:26:34PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> writes:
> > > I can't speak for `real machines,' but on my wierd embedded board,
> > > pci_alloc_consistent allocates from a special area of memory (not
> > > located at 0) that is the only shared memory between PCI devices and the
> > > CPU.  pci_alloc_consistent happens to fit this situation quite well, but
> > > I don't think a bitmask is enough to express the situation.
> >
> > What does your pci_alloc_consistent() function need from the pci_dev
> > structure in order to do what you need it to do?  Anything other than
> > the dma_mask value?
>
> Currently, it ignores the pci_dev argument entirely (I've never had a
> device that needed the mask, so I haven't bothered with it).  It just
> allocates a block from the special memory region and returns the result.

So merely renaming that function to dev_alloc_consistent(), changing the
first paramater to be a struct device, and proving a macro for all of
the pci drivers for the old pci_alloc_consistent() name would work just
fine for you?

greg k-h