[parisc-linux] Untested port of parisc_device to generic device interface

Miles Bader Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
13 Nov 2002 18:05:26 +0900

Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> writes:
> > Currently, it ignores the pci_dev argument entirely (I've never had a
> > device that needed the mask, so I haven't bothered with it).  It just
> > allocates a block from the special memory region and returns the result.
>
> So merely renaming that function to dev_alloc_consistent(), changing the
> first paramater to be a struct device, and proving a macro for all of
> the pci drivers for the old pci_alloc_consistent() name would work just
> fine for you?

Except that this function doesn't make any sense except for PCI devices.

I don't know whether there will ever be any devices that (1) call
`dev_alloc_consistent', (2) aren't PCI devices, and (3) would stand a
chance of ever working on this platform -- probably not.

Never-the-less, it provides (a non-artificial) example of a case where
it's wrong to assume that all busses are the same, and I think that
merits some attention.

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge