[parisc-linux] Konqueror without aRts? (Was: Mozilla and Galeon)

James S James S <smithjames@comcast.net>
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:54:18 -0500

> Hi James,
>
> Running KDE was a problem on my machines: 715/100XC, 712/80. It took about
> 5min from loging
> in at KDM to see KDE, producing 3 times a "knotify"-error. From this list
> I got the tip that this was due
> to "libarts" and indeed, after removing "libarts", the login process was
> much faster and would not
> give me the "knotify"-errors anymore.
> Unfortunately removing "libarts" meant removing "konqueror" as well, or at
> least "dselect" would
> always force the removal.
>
> Did you find a way to have "konqueror" without "aRts" ? Or don't you have
> the problem with KDM
> login ?

i sort of cheated - i'm using windowmaker & ran konqueror under that
although it was still painfully slow to load

i dont think the arts lib is a dependency of konqueror, it must be a
dependant of another section of KDE

i also never used any of the the login managers (kdm xdm etc) as i dont do
any remote x-logins, so i never encountered any problems there.

James S