[parisc-linux] Re: Help on install

Reinhard Gimbel Reinhard.Gimbel@freenet.de
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:48:42 +0200

> I'm attempting to to install HP Linux on a C180XP
> Has anyone had success install V0.9 on this type
> of machine?

I'm still trying to install 0.9.2 on a C180, too.

> The problem I'm having is that when booting from
> a CD, created with the current CD image on the
> web site, the system just hangs in the boot
> process after Serial driver has been enabled.

My expirence is that the DINO I/O chip seems to be the key
element for that problem. Version 1.x of this chip crashes the
system like you describe it (crash during boot ... :-( ) My
DINO version (2.1) allows at least boot the system but the
system crashes when I try to do the next steps within the
installation procedure.

One tip i got in this mailing list was to try to install over
network / NFS.

My problem at present is that the TP port of my C180 box seems
to be broken, because i can't get a connection to my Intel
Linux box. I tried to use either 100 Mbps as well as 10 Mbps on
my Intel Linux box. The AUI-Ethernet port I can't test because
I've not glue box from my Intel Linux TP ethernet adaptor to
the AUI ethernet port of my C180 ...

Anybody outthere with an idea in this area ?

Thanks a lot !

Reinhard.