[parisc-linux] Re: Help on install

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:35:26 +0100

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 06:48:42PM +0200, Reinhard Gimbel wrote:
> My expirence is that the DINO I/O chip seems to be the key
> element for that problem. Version 1.x of this chip crashes the
> system like you describe it (crash during boot ... :-( )

Oooh.  That was the vital clue, see this note from the source:

** "HP has discovered a potential system defect that can affect
** the behavior of five models of HP VISUALIZE workstations when
** equipped with third-party or customer-installed PCI I/O expansion
** cards. The defect is limited to the HP C180, C160, C160L, B160L,
** and B132L VISUALIZE workstations, and will only be encountered
** when data is transmitted through PCI I/O expansion cards on the
** PCI bus. HP-supplied graphics cards that utilize the PCI bus are
** not affected."

Maybe we're triggering this bug... grant?