[parisc-linux] sti console problem

Richard Hirst rhirst@linuxcare.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:45:49 +0100

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 04:06:11PM +0200, Matthieu Le Corre wrote:
> in fact i've installed the 0.9 iso from the serial console
> first and second stage are correct !
> it boot correctly , but,
> at the end of booting process ,
> in sti console i get an "unable to open initial" console...
> and then a login appears in serial console !
> in fact all boot message appears un sti console execpt the boot prompt !
> I have check inittab and /dev/tty* files , they seems ok ! i don't understand

For 0.9 we had different ISOs for 32 bit STI console and 32 bit
serial console.  It sounds as though you might have booted
the STI ISO, but used a serial console.  You get the login prompt
on the serial console, because that is where inittab starts a
getty.  Sounds like kernel printk output is displayed on the STI
console, sugests you are using the STI kernel.  Not sure about
this though...  Check the kernel boot params; do you have
console=tty0 or console=ttyS0?

You can try the 0.9.1 CD from http://mkhppa1.esiee.fr which should
auto-detect which console you used and route messages appropriately.

Richard