[parisc-linux] Initial setup of the `glibc' in the target rootfile system

Christoph Plattner christoph.plattner@dot.at
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:52:40 +0100

To add some "light" here in the discussion.

The `user-defined-trusted-dirs=/lib' is exactly the "key" in the
discussion. It tells the online running library loader (file
./elf/ld-load.c)
where to search the libraries.

When building a cross tool chain and having the library install in
/usr/parisc/hppa-linux/lib, then the cross tool chain will search
there, but also the running programs, because this path is hard-coded
in the ld-load.c loader executable.

No my idea was, to give a "second search path" for the loader. So
the loader will search in /usr/parisc/hppa-linux/lib, will fail and
retry in /lib (as defined in `user-defined-trusted-dirs=/lib'). So also
the running binary on the target machine will access the glibc in /lib.

With friendly regards
	Christoph P.

PS: Of course the way of using --prefix=/usr and installing with
install_root != /usr is a way, but lets say it, it is a HACK !!

The problems I have with many tools, is that they are not prepared
for cross-compiling very well. I need some evenings for bigger
packages.