[parisc-linux] Initial setup of the `glibc' in the target rootfile system

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:53:25 +1100 (EST)

On 23 Feb 2001, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> I really don't understand who came up with these "strange" build
> instructions.  For Linux builds of glibc where the result is actually
> used in the normal place (means in /lib and /usr/lib) you *always*
> have to configure with --prefix=/usr.  While installing it one than
> can use the install_root make variable.

Hi Ulrich,
  The "strange" build instructions come from people trying to use glibc
built for a cross-compiling environment, in a native environment too.

Perhaps I'm at fault for mentioning such a thing was possible (by
installing then setting up symbolic links so that glibc effectively
appears at both it's normal native location and also at the --prefix
location).  To atone, I think I'll write up a recipe for cross-building
native tools and glibc.

Oh, and for the benefit of the list, Ulrich is talking about native
builds.  This ought to be obvious, but _DO NOT_ build glibc for a
cross-compiling environment with --prefix=/usr.  If you install it, you'll
blow away your system libs.  hppa-linux libraries tend to not run very
well on x86.

Alan
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.