[parisc-linux] Users staying up to date.

Richard Hirst rhirst@linuxcare.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:07:48 +0100

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 03:53:40PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell Jr. wrote:

> > /usr/share/locale
> > /usr/share/locale/cs
> > /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES
> > /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/dpkg.mo
> >
> > I seem to remember someone saying this was a bug in an old version
> > of dpkg.  So one way around this may be to dpkg --remove texinfo, then
> > install dpkg, then install texinfo again.
> >

> I tried removing texinfo. Sadly, what proceeds to occur is a
> relative chain of packages that continually depend on
> /usr/share/locale/cs, all the way down to 'tar.' At which point
> I had lost most of my system functionality and was scp'ing
> binaries into /bin to keep it alive.
>
> A fruitless effort, but interesting none the less. ;)
>
> When I get home tonight I'll roll a new kernel and do more testing.
>
> How does the installer get around this problem?
> Since it too must start with a base system?
> (Maybe it's just my misunderstanding of the complete inner workings
> of hte installer).

The installer starts with a bunch of .debs which are sufficiently new
that they don't have the apt-segv problem.  That is the case for the
0.9.2 ISO, anyway.

You might me able to do a fresh install from the 0.9.2 ISO to get a
more stable system.  If you don't want to do that, you could try using
dpkg -i to install .debs from that ISO.  Possibly a dpkg -i *.deb in
the binary-hppa/base dir might just work.  You should probably be running
a new(ish) kernel before you do that.

Richard