[parisc-linux] Users staying up to date.

Carlos O'Donell Jr. carlos@megatonmonkey.net
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:53:40 -0400

> /usr/share/locale
> /usr/share/locale/cs
> /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES
> /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/dpkg.mo
>
> I seem to remember someone saying this was a bug in an old version
> of dpkg.  So one way around this may be to dpkg --remove texinfo, then
> install dpkg, then install texinfo again.

I tried removing texinfo. Sadly, what proceeds to occur is a
relative chain of packages that continually depend on
/usr/share/locale/cs, all the way down to 'tar.' At which point
I had lost most of my system functionality and was scp'ing
binaries into /bin to keep it alive.

A fruitless effort, but interesting none the less. ;)

When I get home tonight I'll roll a new kernel and do more testing.

How does the installer get around this problem?
Since it too must start with a base system?
(Maybe it's just my misunderstanding of the complete inner workings
of hte installer).

Cheers,
Carlos.