[parisc-linux] LAN booting

Carlos O'Donell Jr. carlos@baldric.uwo.ca
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 22:49:05 -0400

> I will try, but first i had to boot the machine over LAN, that's my problem
> at the moment.
> The RISC-Machine tells something like "Error: cannot load IPL, error
> detected. Bootprocess failed..."
> Perhaps you could help me, so i attach the bootptab and the dhcp-conf. Also
> attached are the daemon.log and output from tcpdump. Btw., gorilla is the
> server and mirage the client.
> I don't know what's wrong.
> On the risc-machine i told him to boot from the lan.<hw-addr-server>.

There should be nothing wrong with booting over the lan.

I did not receive any attachments with this email?

> Ack.

Cross compiling is really not all that bad 8)

> > Could you mount the 0.92 ISO on an x86-linux box and steal that kernel?
> > (there are probably several but just try the 32-bit ones.)
> I'll try. So, you mean i don't need the nfsroot-package named in Martin's
> HOWTO?

You can use it.

If you handroll a kernel with nfs-root parameters
and setup an nfs share for you root, you
can boot without a disk onto the nfs-root.

What do you put on your nfs-root?:

- The unpacked nfsroot tarball
- sid baseplus tarball (under the debian directories).
- nothing (You get to check if the setup is okay,
  though the kernel will panic when it doesn't find /)

Cheers,
Carlos.