[parisc-linux] LAN booting

Christian Weerts christian@familie-weerts.de
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:53:37 +0000

* Grant Grundler <grundler@puffin.external.hp.com> [010813 23:55]:
> Christian Weerts wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there anyone who has a running 715/80? I want to build a kernel for this
> > machine discribed in the nfsroot howto from Martin Petersen, but i don't
> > have HP-UX anywhere.
>
> You don't need to have HPUX - note the date of Martin's HOW-TO.
> It was posted when we were still using SOM binaries and the linker only
> ran under HPUX. You should be able to install from the 0.92 ISO
> and build kernels natively.
I will try, but first i had to boot the machine over LAN, that's my problem
at the moment.
The RISC-Machine tells something like "Error: cannot load IPL, error
detected. Bootprocess failed..."
Perhaps you could help me, so i attach the bootptab and the dhcp-conf. Also
attached are the daemon.log and output from tcpdump. Btw., gorilla is the
server and mirage the client.
I don't know what's wrong.
On the risc-machine i told him to boot from the lan.<hw-addr-server>.

> Or build kernels on x86-linux using the XC toolchain built by Matt Taggart
> and posted to the puffin.external.hp.com ftp site. Search parisc-linux
> mail archives since May 2001 if you want the full URL.
Ack.

> > If i had a kernel perhaps i could boot the machine over LAN.
>
> Could you mount the 0.92 ISO on an x86-linux box and steal that kernel?
> (there are probably several but just try the 32-bit ones.)
I'll try. So, you mean i don't need the nfsroot-package named in Martin's
HOWTO?

Greets from northern germany

	Christian

--