[parisc-linux] rpc.lockd hangs (was Re: portmap deb)

Richard Hirst rhirst@linuxcare.com
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:56:06 +0100

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 08:20:46PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> Actually I prefer (d) [hands up everyone who's surprised?  :-)]  I

Not me ;)

> don't see why we should implement syscall in assembler.  After all, that
> would be the third implementation :-)  Why not have something along the
> lines of:
>
> int syscall(int nr, int arg1, int arg, int arg3, int arg4, int arg5, int arg6)
> {
> 	return INLINE_SYSCALL(nr, arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4, arg5, arg6);
> }
>
> I don't have a copy of glibc to hand, so i'm not quite sure on the syntax
> of INLINE_SYSCALL.

This is nfs-utils code atm:

/* compatibility hack... */
#ifndef __NR_nfsctl
#define __NR_nfsctl     __NR_nfsservctl
#endif

int
nfsctl (int cmd, struct nfsctl_arg * argp, union nfsctl_res * resp)
{
  return syscall (__NR_nfsctl, cmd, argp, resp);
}

INLINE_SYSCALL wants a name, and an arg count, not a syscall number, eg:

  INLINE_SYSCALL(nfsservctl, 3, cmd, argp, resp);

so passing a syscall number in to syscall() doesn't work, and also
syscall() won't know how many arguments there are to pass on to
INLINE_SYSCALL.  Maybe we could just use '6' to get round that.

Maybe we duplicate INLINE_SYSCALL in sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/hppa/sysdep.h,
call the new one INLINE_SYSCALL_NR, and replace 'SYS_ify(name)' with 'name'.
Then have

int syscall(int nr, int arg1, int arg, int arg3, int arg4, int arg5, int arg6)
{
      return INLINE_SYSCALL_NR(nr, arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4, arg5, arg6);
}

so long as there is no prototype of that visible to clash with use
in nfs-utils..

Richard