[parisc-linux] Branching "stable" 2.3.99pre8 kernel

David Huggins-Daines dhd@linuxcare.com
01 Sep 2000 15:41:55 -0400

Hi,

As some people have probably heard me say in person, the current head
branch of the kernel CVS tree is a substantial step backwards in speed
and now stability from 2.3.99pre8, and is not really usable for me to
do any user-space work on.

My 2.3.99pre8 tree (see below) crashes *repeatably* and
*deterministically* (with the exception of NFS which is basically crap
anyway), and therefore I'm fixing them as I find them.  In contrast,
what we've got at the head of our CVS crashes *randomly* on my A180
and will not stay up long enough to run the configure script of any of
the programs I have successfully built natively on 2.3.99pre8.

I don't know whether this is because 2.4.0test5 is broken upstream, or
whether we screwed up the merge, but it is simply unusable for my
purposes.

Therefore, until it gets fixed, I am using a hacked-up combination of
the pre-merge 2.3.99pre8 and updated signal and trap handling code.  I
would like to tag this as a branch in CVS so that I can continue to
fix kernel bugs that affect me without having to fully update to 2.4.0.

Will people mind terribly if I do this?  It should be trivial to merge
changes from the branch as needed.

--
dhd@linuxcare.com, http://www.linuxcare.com/
Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.