[parisc-linux] Metrics Gathering and Quality Measurements

Michael Ang mang@subcarrier.org
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:43:42 -0500

Currently the number of active developers is fairly small, so most bug
tracking is done by the developers themselves.  This is working
reasonably right now, since most bugs get fixed quickly and the number
of users of the code is small.

Once we get far enough that userspace applications work, the number of
developers and end users will likely grow quickly.  At that time it will
be important to scale our bug tracking as well.  Bugzilla
(http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/) would be a good bug tracking tool for us
to use.

Bugzilla is pretty slick.  You can report bugs, track progress, set
target fix dates, mark duplicates, etc.  All the data is stored in a
database so you can build interesting queries (such as listing how many
bugs each engineer has assigned to be finished before the next milestone
date).  Mozilla.org/Netscape wrote Bugzilla and they use it for all
their bug tracking -- there are a lot of good techniques we can steal,
er borrow, from them.

	- Mike.