[parisc-linux] Panic on boot in 64 bit 2.6.6-rc1-pa0

James Bottomley James.Bottomley at steeleye.com
Fri Apr 23 13:01:09 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 13:50, John David Anglin wrote:
> Yes, that's what gcc generates for PA 2.0.
>
> Regarding the assembler, I'm wondering if we want the keep "bl" for
> generating 17-bit branches.  It's rather confusing and inconsistent
> with the mnemonic mapping given in the 2.0 manual.  On the otherhand,
> gas has been this way for 4-5 years.

Yes, I think our current pressing problem is to discover why hppa64-ld
is generating out of range PCREL17F branches instead of stubbing them.
That's definitely what's causing the boot failure in 2.6.6-rc1-pa0.

It's so strange.  Since the init section is quite a way away, it should
already be stubbing jumps to the init section.  I can't work out why the
addition of yet another section (this time covering scheduler functions)
suddenly causes it to fail.

James