[parisc-linux] 2.6.5-rc2-pa2 boot panic on c110 :(

Joel Soete Soete.joel at tiscali.be
Wed Apr 14 00:45:38 MDT 2004

Hello Ryan,

>I finally had some time to compile a kernel and boot some systems today
>so I tested the latest CVS head on my C200 and a J200 to see if I could
>duplicate the problem you are seeing.
>
>The J200 is basically a dual processor C100 so it hould be very close
>to the C110 (i.e. no PCI, EISA based, etc)  The device names are
>different so I am not sure if it is close enough but I still think it is
>a relevant data point.

No more clue sorry

[snip]

>Would you be interested in trying the lifimage I complied and
>successfully booted on both the J200 and the C110?

Just a stupid question: where can I grab this lifimage?

> If the lifimage
>boots on your system then we localize the problem down to possible tool
>chain or .config problem (I used the defconfig).

Right I forgot to test defconfig.

That said, to get you more detail on my pb:
 - in genral i can reach to boot the system with 2.6.5-paX
 - the pb occurs when I try high i/o rate on disk (ie  a find, a fsck ,
a tar or some time a simple cp of the kernel from a fs to another one)
 - the pb can also occurs at boot time if a fs is not clear (a fsck is
so requested) or if a raid partition has to be sync (ie once again high i/o
rate on disks).

Thanks for your attention,

   Joel

PS: This system boot and mainly works always fine with a 2.4 and 2.6.3-rc1-pa3
(this is mainly this last one I used as reference), so I exclude hw pb ;)
(execpted that the battery saving system time (and more) has to be replaced)

hmm, I also read back my first report of a pb on this c110 and noticed that
everything appears for me when I tried 2.6.4-pa[12]. I so try to grab cvs
kernel tree dated of the Makefile 2.6.3-rc1-pa3 and a saved tbz of 2.6.4-pa2
to build a diff. The diff file is of about 14Mb :_(

Historically there was not a lot of big changes specific to parisc between
those releases: the main one being the jejb change in ccio-dma (and related).
I so try to revert it and it seems to works better (with 2 different config
file)
until system hang at boot again because it has to re-sync a md (the root)
device. It seems so that ccio-dma changes was not the cause but much better
a revelator of a hidden pb (In fact I never reach to work with 2.6 on this
c110 without replacing cio_mem_ratio = 4 by 2)