[parisc-linux] Proposal for altering our Page Table layouts

James Bottomley James.Bottomley at steeleye.com
Mon Apr 12 08:20:25 MDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 23:32, Grant Grundler wrote:
> I was just looking at the pluto "PA_RISC Physical Address Map" and
> all RAM is physically located < 1TB (40 bits).
> Do we have to worry about the GMMIO (MMIO space above 4GB) in
> "F-space" above 1TB?

No, the problem is merely where the page tables go.  They have to be
addressed physically in the page table directories, so if we only allow
for 40 bits of physical addressing, the page tables have to be located
within the first 40 bits of memory.  This doesn't limit the machine
memory size, merely the location of the page tables.

James