[parisc-linux] Re: NCR53c720

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:59:14 +0100

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 08:47:11AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 03:21, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > BTW, A4000T SCSI is builtin, not Zorro, so we need a platform device for that.
>
> That depends on how you want it to work.  On parisc, the Lasi (SCSI and
> other) devices are technically "platform" in that they're all ASIC'd
> together and soldered on to the main board.  However, it was easier to
> create a parisc_bus type and lump them all under it than to use a
> platform device....however, we did this in the very early days of the
> generic device, a platform device might be more appropriate now.

It makes a lot of sense to treat all the devices that firmware tells us
about as parisc_devices since we treat them all the same way.  If we
were stepping over ourselves saying "well, yes, this is a pluggable
device and therefore we have to access it like that, but this one's
on the motherboard and therefore we treat it like that", I'd agree.
But all these devices are in the same namespace, firmware tells us
about all of them in the same way, so I think we should continue with
the parisc_device.

>From a historical perspective, we've had parisc_devices in
one form or another since the very start of the project.
They were called hp_devices until about August 2001.  See
http://ftp.parisc-linux.org/patches/parisc_device-2.diff for the
conversion.

I don't know much about Amiga/Zorro.  Maybe it'd make sense for Amiga
platform devices to be faked as zorro_devices, but I doubt it.  In
any case, the 4000T SCSI is a 53c710, not a 720.