[parisc-linux] problems installing debian on a c180

Joel Soete joel.soete@tiscali.be
Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:21:58 +0000

Thaddeus A. Wilson wrote:

>i had previously done some messing around with a c180 and at one time
>figured
>out how to install but have since lost my notes.
>
>i have a c180 with an hp A4071B graphics card installed in GSC slot 3
>and
>recognized as HPA4071B_LZ
>
>i know i previously had to enter "video=stifb:off" in the palo:
>
>default when i choose to interact with ipl on boot as parameters to
>kernal in
>palo are:
>
>1. 0/vmlinux
>2. ramdisk_size=8192
>3. initrd=0/ramdisk
>4. console=tty0

There should the place where you would probaly insert "video=stifb:off"
(just for remind: select 4 then at the end of line insert a space
followed by video=stifb:off)

>5. sti=1/0/0
>6. sti_font=VGA8x16
>7. TERM=linux
>
>if i accept default it gets past that message indicating a problem with
>console
>but the screen goes black although it looks as if the monitor is still
>active
>i.e. green light not a yellow one.
>
>i am using the debian 3.0r1 disk as my boot disk.
>
>i recall the last time i got the install to work i got a penguin in the
>corner
>but graphic install never worked and i had some difficulty with the x
>server
>starting.  any help on reinstallation would be appreciated i.e.
>necessary mods
>to the parameters on boot to get back to installing.

hmm the most simple way would be first to re-try the install from a
serial console (or an actual conole in vt100 emulation or a minicom
session from another system). (the tips is to unplug ps/2 kbd/mouse so
the pdc will switch automatically console to serial port 1 at reboot time)

Once your system is ready you may be first update it (with apt-get for
example) and install a more recent kernel (iirc 2.4.21 should be already
pkged or a 2.4 cvs)  to be sure that pb was not already solved since 3.0
cds.
If you still experiment pb into
<http://parisc-linux.org/mailing-lists/index.html> you could try to
search (with google engine) "c180" related mail in this ml

Another  solution could be to try a netinstall from a recent lifimage
available near <http://pateam.esiee.fr/cd-images/testing>.

hth,
    Joel