[parisc-linux] IBM 3151 on K200 in Debian 3.0

Thibaut VARÈNE varenet@esiee.fr
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:04:09 +0200

Le vendredi, 10 oct 2003, à 21:47 Europe/Paris, Walker White a écrit :

> Okay.  Almost done here.  That swap trick DID work.  It just did not =

> read the K200 manual to see that HP boots from the end of the SCSI
> chain and not the beginning.  So everything is loaded and it boots.
>
> However my boot crashes right after loading cron.  This is possibly a =

> result of the fact that some of my packages came from the debian CD
> and not the netinstall.  Here is the error:
>
> ***
> Starting periodic command scheduler: cron
> /bin/sh: /dev/ttyB0: No such device
> /bin/sh: /dev/ttyB0: No such device
> /bin/sh: /dev/ttyB0: No such device
> /bin/sh: /dev/ttyB0: No such device
> /bin/sh: /dev/ttyB0: No such device
> /bin/sh: /dev/ttyB0: No such device
> /bin/sh: /dev/ttyB0: No such device
> /bin/sh: /dev/ttyB0: No such device
> /bin/sh: /dev/ttyB0: No such device
> /bin/sh: /dev/ttyB0: No such device
> INIT: Id "T0" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
>
> The machine then sleeps for 5 minutes and repeats the error on wake-up =

> (so I never get a login).
>
> Using the installation CD, I have opened a shell to verify that there =

> is indeed a /dev/ttyB0.  Is this error because I got packages from a =

> source other than the netinst CD or is there something else going on =

> here?

Looks like something is screwed because of mixed package (most likely
makedev stuff).
My best recommandation would be to upgrade at least to Debian testing
(sarge).
To do so, you have to change /etc/apt/sources.list, and run apt-get
update; apt-get dist-upgrade
Another guess: was the kernel package installed from the netinst or
from Debian 3.0?
If the latter, then /dev/ttyB0 might be there but not related to any
kernel driver (since 3.0 doesn't handle /dev/ttyB0).

The hangs you experienced during install are kinda weird, i hope that
our ISOs aren't corrupted, i'll try to check that at some point.

HTH,

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://pateam.esiee.fr/=