[parisc-linux] Change in device inventory

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:21:40 +0100

I got annoyed with the device inventory which used to look like this:

7. Gecko 80 Audio (10) at 0xf0104000 [2/0/8], versions 0x1c, 0x0, 0x7b

I could never remember how these numbers corresponded to what I needed
to put in a driver (or compare with what was already in a driver).
So I changed it in 2.6.0-test7-pa2 to look like this:

7. Gecko 80 Audio at 0xf0104000 [2/0/8] { 10, 0x0, 0x01c, 0x0007b }

Now you can copy & paste it directly into a driver (possibly using
symbolic constants rather than literals ...).  It has the added benefit of
being slightly shorter so more of the names fit on one line.  The padding
to 3 and 5 digits is an additional reminder of which number is which.

I don't imagine this change will affect anybody too much, but it's a
user-visible change, so I thought I'd mention it.