[parisc-linux] strace locks up 2.4.22-pa14

Joel Soete soete.joel@tiscali.be
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:58:29 +0000

Grant Grundler wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 01:39:49PM +0100, Joel Soete wrote:
>
>>Hi Grant,
>>
>>I am tring to track a lpr pb on my b2k and so try:
>># strace -f /usr/bin/lpr foo.doc
>>
>>that works;
>

> ok
>

>>I read your post and try so now:
>># strace -f -o /var/tmp/Strace.doc /usr/bin/lpr foo.doc
>>
>>and system also hang (same behaviour as)
>>and so I toc it (which seems to failled ; apparently because of ide-cdrom???)
>

> hrm. I doubt the ide-cdrom is causing the TOC to fail.

I don't know but seems to hang like boot hang when I include the pdc
support into the kernel: green led stay lightning. (and toc seems to
failed because of a time out IO; i don't remember but I think i do have
to read it on lcd)

> It's likely the CD-ROM drive is getting reset when TOC occurs
> and that's the noise you hear.
> Something else might be causing problems.

Well, I don't realy need that system hang to toc it? (just think right now)
So when I have some time, I will re-try a toc when system is running and
see what hapen ;)

>>I took the opportunity to unplug ide-cable's cdrom (to test various).
>>
>>Then to try to obtain a relevant toc, I re-launch:
>># strace -f -o /var/tmp/Strace.doc /usr/bin/lpr foo.doc
>>
>>This time it works??
>>Is it the same for you after the reboot?
>

> I haven't retried because I need that to actaully work on that system.
> I'm building a new kernel and will try at home tonight.

Ok

>>(sorry, I tried severall time strace but no more means to reproduce)
>

> bummer. Makes me wonder if this is CPU cache related too.

I am curious to see the result of your test ?)

>>PS: btw the end of my strace is:
>>[...]
>>24801 write(3, "\1lp\n", 4)             = 4
>>24801 read(3, "\0", 1)                  = 1
>>24801 close(3)                          = 0
>>24801 SYS_222(0, 0, 0x1, 0x2f, 0)       = -1 ENOSYS (Function not implemented)
>>24801 exit(0)                           = ?
>>
>>And at the same time, at the serial console I got:
>>+ set -v
>>+ exec
>>
>>Have you any advise about what I miss?
>

> include/asm/unistd.h says:
> #define __NR_exit_group         (__NR_Linux + 222)
>
> No architecture implements that syscall.
> ("find -name '*.[S]' | xargs fgrep exit_group")
> I have no clue what it's supposed to do and looks like
> I don't need to care either.
>
> Perhaps just recompiling the application or linked lib that uses
> that syscall might get rid of it.

Good idea, I will try.

what I don't understand is that lpr works fine on my b180 runing a
k-2.4.21 (for lvm2 support) otc the b2k is running a k-2.4.23-rc2-pa7 (a
merge of mine); so my doubt is that I could break something :(.

Thanks for advise,
	Joel