[parisc-linux] RDI Tadpole Precisionbook and Linux/PA-RISC

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:20:36 +0100

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 09:02:31AM +0100, M. Grabert wrote:
> I just wonder whether somebody has experience in running Linux on
> a Precisionbook (which is the equivalent to a B-Class machine according

I tried to get hold of one from them.  They never called me back ;-(

> to Tadpole). According to OpenPA.net it contains the following chips:
>
> LASI ASIC, which features:

Same as everything from the 712 to the J2240 ;-)

> Dino PCI bus-adaptor

Also in everything from the B132 to the J2240

> Visualize EG (Graffiti) graphics with 2MB memory

Works in other machines.

> 1MB flash memory

Don't know how this is hooked up.  Might work, give it a try.

> Intel 82503 Ethernet transceiver, media auto-selection

Presumably we dont actually need a driver for this.

> CS4215 or AD1849 programmable CODECs

Hooks up to harmony, no worries.

> WD37C65C Floppy controller

As you say, no floppy support yet.

> As far as I can see the only thing that isn't supported on
> Linux/PA-RISC right now is the floppy controller. The (IDE-)hard disks
> shouldn't be a problem since they are attached to the NCR 53c710 via a
> SCSI-IDE adapter.

Doesn't it also have a PCMCIA adapter?  No-one's tried making those work.

> Does anybody know whether it could/should/may/will/does run Linux?

Obviously it _should_.  But since no-one's tried ...