[parisc-linux] Re: Out of memory problem

Markus Schaber markus.schaber@student.uni-ulm.de
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:59:58 +0100

H3llo,

grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com (Grant Grundler) schrieb:

> > Maybe I'll see whether I can upgrade the machine with more memory...
> that would be a good idea - even for proof of concept.

Do you know a good source to get cheap memory modules for such an old
machine? I'll have a look at ebay...

> > I was there and didn't find a pre-build net-boot image that uses NFS
> > root [...]
>
> The Net install ISOs are what you want. See
> 	http://www.parisc-linux.org/software/install.html

But as this are ISO files, I need to attach a CD drive, and I don't have
an external SCSI drive lying around. I also doubt I'll find any IDE port
inside my Apollo. That's why I looked for a net-boot image.

I have a floppy drive built in, but on the debian-pa web site I read
that floppy boot is not supported on parisc.

You see, I got this machine for free more than a year ago when our
University put it out of order, and now I just wanted to play a bit with
it. The HPUX installation seems to be severely damaged, and so I wanted
to try linux. I don't mind to put some time into this game, but I don't
want to buy much additional hardware.

PS: I subscribed to the parisc-linux list, so you all don't have to Cc:
me.

Thanks,
Markus