[parisc-linux] Re: gcc-3.2 -> gcc-3.3 transition on hppa

mszick@goquest.com mszick@goquest.com
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:17:16 -0600

On Sunday 16 March 2003 05:06 pm, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 04:52:19PM -0600, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> > On Friday 14 March 2003 07:17 am, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > > net/core/rtnetlink.c:extern __inline__ int rtnetlink_rcv_skb(struct
> > > sk_buff *skb)
> >
> > Stolen from the GCC thread on 3.x.x inlining...
> > - - - - GCC - - - - -
> > For the record, the kernel doesn't need this any more.  Go check 2.5;
> > new versions of <linux/compiler.h> contain this line:
> > #define inline          __inline__ __attribute__((always_inline))
> > - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > That forces GCC to ignore its changed inline metrics and simply inline
> > the function.
>
> Yes, but...
>
>  * Joel's using 2.4, not 2.5
Exactly why I mentioned it.

>  * #define inline doesn't help functions which are marked as __inline__
If he follows your suggestion of dropping the "__" around "inline" it will.

> This isn't a function which absolutely needs to be inlined.  It can
> be `static inline' and gcc can do whatever it likes then.
The subject is getting a lot of discussion on the GCC list.  I only mentioned
this one workaround so that Joel could get on with his work before the issue
is settled on the GCC list.

Mike