[parisc-linux] Re: gcc-3.2 -> gcc-3.3 transition on hppa

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:06:11 +0000

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 04:52:19PM -0600, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Friday 14 March 2003 07:17 am, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > net/core/rtnetlink.c:extern __inline__ int rtnetlink_rcv_skb(struct sk_buff
> > *skb)
> Stolen from the GCC thread on 3.x.x inlining...
> - - - - GCC - - - - -
> For the record, the kernel doesn't need this any more.  Go check 2.5;
> new versions of <linux/compiler.h> contain this line:
> #define inline          __inline__ __attribute__((always_inline))
> That forces GCC to ignore its changed inline metrics and simply inline
> the function.

Yes, but...

 * Joel's using 2.4, not 2.5
 * #define inline doesn't help functions which are marked as __inline__

This isn't a function which absolutely needs to be inlined.  It can
be `static inline' and gcc can do whatever it likes then.