[parisc-linux] newbie which HP-UX binaries

Morten Sickel Morten.Sickel@nrpa.no
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:10:28 +0100

I have an old HP712/80 box running 10.20 that I am thinking about running
linux on. The only problem is that I have to run an old (7.1) Esri arc/info
on the machine. I have seen in the faq that:

"We intend to support 4 binary formats:
HP/UX SOM 32 bit
Linux ELF 32 bit
HP/UX ELF 64 bit
Linux ELF 64 bit
"

But I have to admit that it does not help me too much, as:

[cesium:download]$ file /usr/local/arcexe71/bin/arc
/usr/local/arcexe71/bin/arc:    PA-RISC1.1 shared executable dynamically
linked

is this the same as SOM 32 bit?

After digging around in the mailing list archives, it is also not clear to
me if I can read the existing disks on my WS. It would make the transistion
easier, or I could install linux on a spare disk, boot from that and test if
it works.

I also need to run the flexlm licence manager. Does anybody know if that
works, and if the ids that are used there still are valid under linux.

(yes, I know about grass, and I am in fact using it under i386 linux, but
for backward compatibility, I would prefer to still have arc/info around)

regards,
--
Morten Sickel
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority