[parisc-linux] Getting XF86 to run on a C-180 box

Charles Slivkoff caslivkoff@speakeasy.net
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:17:01 -0400

On Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003, at 08:57 US/Eastern, Rod Smart wrote:

>    I have a C-180 Visualize RISC system with a (GSC) "A4070" video
> card with a "A4747" daughter card.

>    I would like to get this thing into doing something more than
> heating my bedroom, so I am wondering if anyone has a XF86Config file
> that I could get the video driver settings for the above card
> configuration.
>
>    I have tried "fbdev" but even at Depth=8 I have not been able to
> get xfree running.

That should work provided you have a "1280x1024" mode defined and set
the "fbdev" option to "/dev/fb1". But, I suppose you want fb0, right?

>    I searched through the old mail archives but I couldn't find much
> more than the "fbdev" setup.

This thread should help:

http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2003-January/
019064.html

>    When I do the  command line from one of the mail list messages i
> get the following.
>
> vorlon portage # dmesg | grep stifb
> fb0: stifb 1280x1024-32 frame buffer device, id: 2bcb015a, mmio:
> 0xf8100000
> fb1: stifb 1280x1024-8 frame buffer device, id: 2d08c0a7, mmio:
> 0xfa100000
>
>    I'm not sure what this means, but I think the "-8" and the "-32" is
> the depth.

That is correct, and the "1280x1024" corresponds to the resolution as
specified in the PDC. IIRC, the A4070-* devices (HCRX family) only
worked at this resolution, but might be switchable between 75hz VESA
(separate H/V sync) and 72hz (sync-on-green). If your monitor is not
receiving a sync signal use a serial console (power-on with the PS/2
keyboard detached, 9600/8/n/1) and try the "co mo" command to view the
video setting. "co mo list" should give you a list of options available
for each of your two devices.

BTW, you might want to grab copies of the service manual & owner's
guide for future reference:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/
DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=120929&locale=en_
US&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=44435

-chuck