[parisc-linux] Need Replacement was: Matrox graphics card and C360

Martin K. Petersen mkp@mkp.net
24 Jun 2003 13:34:40 -0400

M> BTW, I have some hardware problems with my C240 lately. When it is
M> cut of from power (i.e. when there is a power outage or I pull the
M> power plug), I can turn it on again! I have to wait for some hours
M> until and suddenly the power button works again. This started to
M> happen a couple of months ago. I hardly turn the machine of, so I
M> don't care that much, but it's annoying nevertheless!  Even more
M> strangely the SCSI bay doesn't get any power anymore, so I have to
M> use an external SCSI disk. This happened about a month ago after I
M> wanted to install a new SCSI drive. I suppose a fuse or two are
M> broken ...  The power botton works, but none of the LEDs!

I've experienced similar things in the past.  One of my C160s is a
notoriously bad booter.

The trick is to make sure that both the disk tray and the motherboard
tray are properly seated and screws tightened.

I tend to put my Cxxx boxes down on the floor - face side down - and
let the motherboard tray fall down the last couple of inches.  That
usually seats things nicely.

Also, make sure your disk tray screw is properly inserted.  The
power/LED assy. as well as disk device power and SCSI data pins are
all hooked up through a single connector at the back of the disk tray.

Give that box a big, tight hug.  That usually fixes it *).

*) Make sure nobody can see you when you are doing this.  More than
 once I have been accused of humping my PA-RISC hardware while
 performing this delicate repair procedure.

--
Martin K. Petersen      http://mkp.net/