[parisc-linux] Need Replacement was: Matrox graphics card and C360

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:06:42 +0100 (IST)

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, R=FCdiger Scholz wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Has anyone running a Matrox graphics (especially a Matrox Millenium) in
> his C-class? I found a thread about this theme form January , but I
> wanted to know whether it's possible to get it run or not nowadays...

I tried a ATI Mach64 and 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 in a C240, they don't work
(no stifb - no wonder - and neither XFree86). Last time I tried was about
2 months ago however.
I don't care that much since I'm using the machine as a headless server.

I haven't heard any success reports of running non-HP graphic cards in
HP PA-RISC machines. Actually the only ones that work are the Visualize-EG
cards and the 'Artist'/(H)CRX-graphics on older 7xx workstations.

I'm pretty sure someone would have posted a mail like 'Whooaaa - it works!'
to the mailing list if the situation has changed in the meantime.

BTW, I have some hardware problems with my C240 lately. When it is cut of
from power (i.e. when there is a power outage or I pull the power plug),
I can turn it on again! I have to wait for some hours until and suddenly
the power button works again. This started to happen a couple of months
ago. I hardly turn the machine of, so I don't care that much, but it's
annoying nevertheless!
Even more strangely the SCSI bay doesn't get any power anymore, so I have
to use an external SCSI disk. This happened about a month ago after I
wanted to install a new SCSI drive. I suppose a fuse or two are broken ...
The power botton works, but none of the LEDs!

Does anybody know what could be the problem?

Well, so now I'm looking for a replacement for my C240 (I'd prefer a B2x00
or C3x00), but I'm low on money (as a PhD student), partly because I
recently bought a PrecisionBook for US $399. Unfortunately I can't use the
PrecisionBook as a replacement for my C240 as I can't connect any
USB-devices to it.

I would sell the PrecisionBook if there is some interest here.

Furthermore, if I can find a cheap replacement for my C240 (in Europe) I'd
dump it and sell it's memory (1GB RAM).

Please contact me if you are interested or know how/where to get
inexpensive HP workstations.

Thanks, Max